Infective hepatitis and Liv.52 drops

Dinesh Chandra Misra, M.B.,B.S., Medical Officer, 1/C, Primary Health Centre, Marteenganj, Azamgarh, U.P.,


Infective Hepatitis has become a problem for the physicians, the community and the Government in many parts of India. The contaminated source of drinking water and unhygienic habits are factors responsible for the spread of the disease. Infective Hepatitis is a viral infection, which has no specific treatment. Everything depends on the resistance of the body and one can only provide symptomatic treatment to save the life of the patient. In the present series I have tried Liv.52 which is claimed to have a protective and regenerative effect on the liver.


Fifty four patients between the ages of 1 to 50 years were included in my observations. There were 26 males and 28 females.

A mid-stream sample of morning urine was collected and examined in the laboratory for bile salts and bile pigments. All the urine samples were +ve for bile salts and pigments. All were passing stools of grey colour, their conjunctiva was yellow-coloured, some had itching, weakness, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting.

Socio-economic status of 70% of the patients was poor and 30% belonged to the middle class. The source of drinking water in 60% was handpumped and open wells in the remaining 40%. They mostly disposed of faeces in the fields. In the age group of 20-30 years two patients were pregnant and complained of pain in abdomen.
Table I
Age group Sex
Male Female
1 - 5 years 6 4
5 - 10 years 2 6
10 - 15 years 5 3
15 - 20 years 1 2
20 - 30 years 10 12
30 - 40 years 1
40 - 50 years 1 1
26 28

All cases were treated with Liv.52 drops in a higher dosage schedule along with B-Complex tablets/syrup, Vitamin C tablets 100 mg daily and glucose orally. A few cases which were fulminating in nature were given Ampicillin 100 mg daily according to the body weight and corticosteroids (Betamethasone). Higher dosage schedules are given in Table II.

Table II
Age group Liv.52 Dosage
1 - 5 years ½ tsf thrice daily
5 - 10 years 1 tsf thrice daily
10 - 20 years 1 tsf four times daily
20 - 50 years 2 tsf thrice daily


Out of 54 cases, 40 cases showed excellent response. Their appetite returned within 7-10 days and in a few cases within a fortnight. In all the cases pruritus, nausea, vomiting and feeling of malaise were relieved in about a week’s time as shown in Table III.
Table III
Duration of therapy Return of appetite & sense of well-being Relief from nausea, vomiting & pruritus High colour of urine & bile pigments++ Enlarged Liver
1 week Fair Partial Slight change ++
2 weeks Good Complete Fair Started to regress
3 weeks Better Complete Normal About normal
4 weeks Best Complete Normal Normal


It was observed that out of 54 cases of Infective Hepatitis 80% responded well within 10 days of therapy with Liv.52 drops, 10% in the 2nd week only 10% cases showed poor response. The poor response could perhaps be attributed to the poor glucose intake, lack of nourishing diet and use of fats in the diet. Out of 54 cases of hepatitis, 40 cases were successfully treated with Liv.52 drops and their recovery was dramatic and early. Enlarged liver regressed within 15-21 days : nausea, vomiting and pruritus stopped within a week. Restoration of appetite and sense of well-being occurred within 7-10 days. All cases were free from complication. Therefore, the higher dosage schedule of Liv.52 drops is the best way to tackle Infective Hepatitis. Liv.52 drops are palatable, acceptable to all age groups, easy to administer. Last but not the least, the patient does not feel weak after recovery and there are no side-effects in spite of higher dosage.


Liv.52 drops are effective in Infective Hepatitis, free from side-effects, they have no contra-indication; are acceptable to all age groups and economical. Therefore, I suggest, they should be tried by other workers too.


1. 54 cases of Infective Hepatitis were treated with higher doses of Liv.52 drops much more than ordinarily recommended.

2. Out of 54 patients, 51 were below the age of 30 years, incidence was almost equal in both the sexes, 2 being pregnant women.

3. Liv.52 in higher doses was found remarkably effective in all these cases.

4. 80% patients responded well, within 10 days of therapy; 10% more i.e. 90% the second week. 10% patients including toxic and fulminant cases showed poor response.

5. There were no toxic or untoward effects in any of the patients.

free delivery Liv 52
Copyrights © 2009